Computer Forensics Lab
Digital Forensics & Investigations
Digital Forensics relates to the identification, preservation, analysis and documentation of electronic data for judicial purposes in such a manner that the integrity, accuracy and reliability is maintained.
We conduct cyber forensic investigations according to internationally accepted standards and by making use of state-of-the-art hardware and software. This ensures the successful presentation of evidence and expert testimony during any judicial hearing as well as ensures that moral, ethical and constitutional principles are followed. We believe in thoroughness and provide the following services as part of our investigation:
- Advice to clients regarding legal requirements of search and seizure.
- Advice to clientsregarding legal requirements from Anton Pillar appplications.
- Assistance in planning of investigations.
- Complete search of scene and collection of all electronic storage media.
- Creation of a bit-by-bit backup copy of computers.
- Creation of a second backup set to minimize risk during the investigation.
- Analysis and location of all data/evidence.
- Data recovery of all lost or deleted data.
- Decryption of data and cracking of passwords.
- Location and analysis of e-mails.
- Analysis of Internet activities.
- Location of evidence relating to any other offence.
- Physical and/or electronic report to client.
- Appear as an expert witness during the trial.
Mobile devices have become the device of this century, and most probably that of the next as well. It has become such a part of our lives that if you forget your phone at home, you will feel naked, will turn back to fetch it or face a whole day of communication depravation. Chances are good that we are now commenting more on getting away on a holiday to get away from our cell phones than getting away from work.
Not only have mobile devices become a part of our personal lives, but also an integral part of our business life. Mobile phones are used to read e-mail, store data, do presentation, backup files, update social media etc. As such it has become a device that cannot be ignored by businesses. Mobile phones have become one of the preferred devices by fraudsters, syndicates and criminals to communicate, steal data, give instruction etc.
We are seeing that syndicates are now targeting mobile phones to steal personal data instead of computers. It is therefore imperative to include mobile forensics in all forensic investigations. Cyanre is a leading expert in mobile forensics with the unmatched ability to uncover and recover data from all types of mobile devices.
Forensic accounting and auditing combines various skills during an investigation in order to prosecute the perpetrator successfully. These skills include auditing-, accounting-, legal- and investigations skills. During an investigation these skills are combined with knowledge and experience of the various fields. The forensic auditor will peruse relevant financial data of an entity (e.g. bank statements, ledgers) to identify the audit trail used by the suspect. Audit and investigation experience will be used to identify the audit traces left behind by fraudsters. Audit and legal experience will be used to extract the relevant information, including supporting documentation proving each fact. The forensic auditor will then write a factual report on the findings and compile the evidence files in such a manner that it is presentable to any court of law. Finally, if required, the forensic auditor will also present all findings in a court of law or at disciplinary hearings as an expert witness. Our team consists of experts in their various fields. Cyanre prides itself in assigning the best qualified and experienced individuals to cases, in line with the needs of the client. Our services include the following:
- Internal control assessments which will identify problem areas within internal controls and would include ways in which management can improve these internal controls, therefore preventing future fraud.
- Cash flow analysis.
- Compilation of reports and affidavits.
- Opening the case docket at the SAPS.
- CYLAB: Personnel of Cyanre have been involved in the digital forensic environment for the past 15 years. As such we have played a leading role in the industry throughout South Africa. Our personnel have been responsible for establishing the Computer Crime Investigation Unit of the SA Police Service, the computer forensic capacity of one of the big 4 auditing firms as well as 3 independent computer forensic investigation firms. As part of these functions we have vast experience in the selection of best-of-breed, cost effective and operationally sound software and hardware solutions for an effective digital forensic lab or capacity.
- CELLEBRITE UFED: The Cellebrite UFED Ruggedized kit is a complete end-to-end solution contained in a hard case for safe transport which includes: a UFED Ruggedized device, a universal rapid phone charger, 85+ data cables, a USB flash drive, and other mission critical accessories.
- MOBILE WRITE BLOCKERS: The T35es eSATA Forensic Bridge offers more native host computer and device connection options than any other write-blocker available today. With the T35es in your forensic toolkit, you'll have a robust and reliable forensic bridge with four different host interface connections (eSATA, FireWire 800, FireWire 400, and USB), and two device-side connections (SATA and IDE).
- FORENSIC TOOLKIT 3: Forensic Toolkit® (FTK®) is recognized around the world as the standard in computer forensics software. This court-validated digital investigations platform delivers cutting-edge computer forensic analysis, decryption and password cracking software all within an intuitive and customizable interface. FTK 3 is built for speed, analytics and enterprise-class scalability. Known for its intuitive interface, email analysis, customizable data views and stability, FTK lays the framework for seamless expansion, so your computer forensics solution can grow with your organization’s needs. Forensic Toolkit 3 is now the most advanced computer forensics software available, providing functionality that normally only organizations with tens of thousands of dollars could afford. However, we are committed to making our technology available to all investigators and analysts, whether they are in law enforcement, education, a government agency, a Fortune 500 corporation, or performing digital investigations as a computer forensics service provider.
Cyanre consult their clients in the implementation or management of their business environment to ensure a more secure environment. This includes consultancy regarding physical security, computer security and cash flow management. We analyse the clients policies and procedures, identify possible weaknesses, physical testing of the environment and recommend and implement remedial steps. As part of our preventative services we we provide clients with training and skills transfer programmes in the areas of:
- Practical knowledge of specific offences i.e. fraud and corruption.
- Fraud prevention and fraud risk management.
- Regulatory frameworks (including duties to report and pro-active prevention).
- Specific investigative tools.
- Criminal law and the application of the Criminal Procedure Act.
- The law of evidence, recovery of the proceeds of crime.
- First responder training.
- Report writing skills for a computer forensic expert.
- Court preparation for a computer forensic expert.